Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Komeil, an Iranian born artist began his artistic journey as a young child painting alongside his father Mohammad Yousefi Zarin, a painter, Persian calligrapher and musician. Since then he has continually explored words, music, mediums and styles in his search for deeper connections – with himself as well as with others.
As one who is exiled yet forever connected to his homeland; waiting here yet always looking beyond, Komeil’s work questions our perceived notions of identity, belonging, boundaries and realities. Through what is ordinary, Komeil strives to see deeper into the world, in order to find what it means to be.
Komeil’s work in Malaysia includes:
• Debut solo exhibition at Teapods Cafe, Kuala Lumpur – Sept 2015.
• Artworks exhibited at Our Body Space, Kuala Lumpur – March 2017.
• Here Beyond, Solo exhibition at Improv Bistro, Kuala Lumpur – March 2019.
• Where I tried to double park, Solo exhibition at Improv Bistro, Kuala Lumpur – November 2019.
• Mural painting and illustrations for commercial spaces and marketing material.
• Illustration for children’s story books. The latest book is “A to Z Grandpa & Me” by Diani Lee – published December 2018.
• Art workshops and classes.
• Art projects during the Movement Control Order in 2020 and 2021 to raise funds to support himself and also help fellow refugees affected by the lockdowns.